The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation’s historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service’s National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America’s historic and archeological resources.
The National Register recognizes the significance of a property to the community, state, and/or nation. The Sisters of St. Joseph Motherhouse is considered significant in the area of social history and education for its association with the Sisters’ growth as an organization during the twentieth century and their educational and social impact on Brentwood and the entire Long Island region. The property is additionally significant in the area of architecture for its collection of remarkable architectural resources including Sacred Heart Chapel, the Academy and the Convent, and other significant smaller buildings. Mother Mary Louis, who was a powerful driving force for education and healthcare during the forty years of her leadership (1892–1932), was also mentioned as a significant person in the congregational history of the period.
In addition to the prestigious benefit of Inclusion in the State Register of Historic Places, which comes with National Register listing, membership also provides eligibility for matching state grants for restoration of properties owned by private nonprofit organizations and municipalities, when such grants are available.
National Register properties are afforded limited protection from adverse effects of federally assisted projects; and, through automatic inclusion in the State Register of Historic Places, limited protection from state actions.